By Gabriele vom Bruck,Barbara Bodenhorn
Read or Download An Anthropology of Names and Naming PDF
Similar anthropology books
In recent times, Peter N. Stearns has demonstrated himself because the leading historian of yankee emotional lifestyles. In books on anger, jealousy, "coolness," and physique picture, he has mapped out the fundamental terrain of the yank psyche. Now Stearns crowns his paintings of the previous decade with this strong quantity, during which he unearths the basic dichotomy on the center of the nationwide personality: a self-indulgent hedonism and the famed American informality at the one hand, and a deeply imbedded repressiveness at the different.
Cuban-Americans are starting to comprehend their long-standing roots and traditions within the usa that extend again over a century sooner than 1959. this is often the 1st book-length affirmation of these beginnings, and its locations the Cuban hero and innovative philosopher José Martí in the political and socioeconomic realities of the Cuban groups within the usa of that period.
In solving the Books, professor Erin Debenport (anthropology, collage of latest Mexico) offers the learn she carried out on an indigenous language literacy attempt inside of a brand new Mexico Pueblo group, and the opportunity of that literacy to compromise Pueblo secrecy. She analyzes the choice to supply written fabrics in a traditionally oral language and no matter if that call is at odds with the linguistically and culturally “conservative” recognition of Southwest tribes, and very likely disrupts the keep watch over of either the intra- and intercommunity movement of cultural wisdom.
The research of social and public coverage perform has develop into more and more theoretical in recent times. This quantity attracts jointly skilled practitioners and lecturers in social paintings, probation and counselling, in addition to from other kinds of felony and social perform, to higher comprehend the connection among thought, coverage and perform.
- American Value: Migrants, Money, and Meaning in El Salvador and the United States (Chicago Studies in Practices of Meaning)
- Japanese American Ethnicity: In Search of Heritage and Homeland Across Generations
- A Longhouse Fragmented: Ohio Iroquois Autonomy in the Nineteenth Century
- Mixed Towns, Trapped Communities: Historical Narratives, Spatial Dynamics, Gender Relations and Cultural Encounters in Palestinian-Israeli Towns (Re-materialising Cultural Geography)
- Can We Talk?: The Rise of Rude, Nasty, Stubborn Politics
- Motion and Knowledge in the Changing Early Modern World: Orbits, Routes and Vessels: 30 (Studies in History and Philosophy of Science)
Additional info for An Anthropology of Names and Naming
An Anthropology of Names and Naming by Gabriele vom Bruck,Barbara Bodenhorn