By Merrill Singer,Pamela I. Erickson
- Provides a professional view of the key subject matters and topics to main issue the self-discipline on account that its founding within the 1960s
- Written by way of best overseas students in scientific anthropology
- Covers environmental health and wellbeing, international wellbeing and fitness, biotechnology, syndemics, nutrients, substance abuse, infectious disorder, and sexuality and reproductive healthiness, and different topics
Read or Download A Companion to Medical Anthropology (Wiley Blackwell Companions to Anthropology) PDF
Best anthropology books
In recent times, Peter N. Stearns has verified himself because the most appropriate historian of yankee emotional lifestyles. In books on anger, jealousy, "coolness," and physique snapshot, he has mapped out the fundamental terrain of the yankee psyche. Now Stearns crowns his paintings of the earlier decade with this strong quantity, within which he unearths the elemental dichotomy on the center of the nationwide personality: a self-indulgent hedonism and the famed American informality at the one hand, and a deeply imbedded repressiveness at the different.
Cuban-Americans are starting to comprehend their long-standing roots and traditions within the usa that stretch again over a century ahead of 1959. this can be the 1st book-length affirmation of these beginnings, and its areas the Cuban hero and progressive philosopher José Martí in the political and socioeconomic realities of the Cuban groups within the usa of that period.
In solving the Books, professor Erin Debenport (anthropology, college of latest Mexico) provides the learn she performed on an indigenous language literacy attempt inside of a brand new Mexico Pueblo group, and the opportunity of that literacy to compromise Pueblo secrecy. She analyzes the choice to supply written fabrics in a traditionally oral language and even if that call is at odds with the linguistically and culturally “conservative” acceptance of Southwest tribes, and in all likelihood disrupts the regulate of either the intra- and intercommunity stream of cultural wisdom.
The research of social and public coverage perform has turn into more and more theoretical lately. This quantity attracts jointly skilled practitioners and teachers in social paintings, probation and counselling, in addition to from other kinds of criminal and social perform, to higher comprehend the connection among concept, coverage and perform.
- Cyber Selves: Feminist Ethnographies of South Asian Women
- Mobile Narratives: Travel, Migration, and Transculturation (Routledge Interdisciplinary Perspectives on Literature)
- A Subaltern History of the Indian Diaspora in Singapore: The Gradual Disappearance of Untouchability 1872-1965 (Intersections: Colonial and Postcolonial Histories)
- Mementos, Artifacts and Hallucinations from the Ethnographer's Tent
Additional resources for A Companion to Medical Anthropology (Wiley Blackwell Companions to Anthropology)
A Companion to Medical Anthropology (Wiley Blackwell Companions to Anthropology) by Merrill Singer,Pamela I. Erickson